Review Esoteric Art – Amouage Gold pour Homme

Raul S

Member
Esoteric Art – Amouage Gold pour Homme
​

The culture of every nation is a flower, one of whose petals is the art known as perfumery. These words best express the way I see the world of perfumery.

To savour art and beauty, one must contemplate them beyond the realm of absolute values. The key lies in knowing and understanding the culture that gave birth to them. Consider an Arab who has spent his entire life surrounded by the architecture of minarets inhabited by muezzins, or by porticoes whose arches take the shape of horseshoes. Upon arriving in Romania, he might gaze at Voroneț Monastery (also called the Sistine Chapel of the East) or the Romanian Athenaeum with perplexity, perhaps even wearied by the abundance of architectural detail. Likewise, a Romanian arriving in China encounters dragons adorning carpets and pagodas of distinctive architecture. It is only natural for his imagination to be stirred, even if he does not comprehend their significance.

Below is a useful link to discover more about Voroneț Monastery (also called the Sistine Chapel of the East):

Once this page has been opened, you may use Google Translate to assist with the translation.

By following this link, you will have the opportunity to explore the Romanian Athenaeum through an immersive virtual tour.

Now it is my turn to step into uncharted territory: the world of chypre perfumes. After many years during which fougère fragrances had ruled in an almost autocratic fashion, the time for rebellion had arrived. My hunger for the unknown, for the unconventional, intensified with every reading about the fragrances that could be captured within alluring little bottles. I felt compelled to escape the shell of olfactory comfort.

Years ago, my thoughts were drawn towards Amouage Gold pour Homme. The notes in its composition, the lavish praise bestowed upon it, and its promotion all combined to create a powerful impulse to discover it. With my nostrils poised before this temple of perfumery, upon the fragrant lands of the Orient, my raw olfactory senses went into a spin. I felt as though my airways had been flooded with baby powder. My nose had turned white, and disappointment had left its mark; yet, more than anything, what manifested itself was the comfort derived from my previous olfactory experiences.

xtC3SgQ.png


Amouage Gold pour Homme - AI image​

In search of new fragrant experiences, I decided to test it once again. More than two years had passed since our first encounter. In the meantime, I had managed to come to terms with many olfactory creations of considerable weight, Black Aoud, for instance. With a rested nose, a positive frame of mind, and armed with patience, I succeeded in smelling this creation anew, attempting to decipher its character. The powder of the past had, for the moment, dissipated.

Suddenly, I plunged my nose into a bouquet of jasmine and roses, their delicate wildness enveloped in incense. The opening is distinctly feminine, though not to such an extent as to drive me away. Within a few minutes, the introduction evaporates, giving way to a powdery, faintly animalic scent. It is like a hologram suspended before the eyes, in which flowers caressed by light gradually become shrouded in a veil of mystery.

Particularly intriguing is the patchouli, which seeks to make its presence felt. It attempts to accentuate the masculine facet of the composition. So delicately does it emerge that it sits perfectly in the background, alongside the fine and subtle note of myrrh. Amber and sandalwood, two great fixatives of perfumery, are also woven into this blend. These notes have been carefully built into the composition to provide a solid foundation for the entire edifice.

Although it is difficult to approach, the composition exudes refinement, opulence and mystery.

Every olfactory pleasure is founded upon repetition and familiarity, ultimately leading to understanding. That is how I came to appreciate this masterpiece. Perhaps you will ask yourself: “Will he wear it?”.

For me, the answer was simple: “I chose his brother, Dia pour Homme.”

To be able to enjoy the perfume of your dreams, you must also smell what you dislike. I learned to appreciate that which I could not understand at first. This is the lesson Amouage Gold pour Homme taught me.

Thank you, Guy Robert !

LE: I wrote this review more than ten years ago.
 
Last edited:
Wow, a brilliant and evocative review. Although I expect I may be a peasant in my olfactory preferences (I have just one go-to scent, Czech & Speake O&C) , I am inclined to at least get a sniff of this substance.
 
Back
Top